( not like them. ) was posted at 10:15 am
Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Going to work in Marina is now a huge battle - going on the train from Yishun all the way to Marina. Don't even bother about getting a seat; getting a decent space to get in the train itself is already a qualifying round to get through the journey.

This morning I survived the battle, though no decent seat available until Raffles Place, which is rather redundant as my destination is a stop away. The horror of motion sickness and nausea haunted me throughout but I made it nevertheless.

As I walked to the bus station at Marina, I lost count on how many commuters have buzzed and pushed me as I was walking slowly. It was a mad rush in the morning, all the squeezing and pushing and running. Men and women clad in office wear, branded bags and sophisticated shoes, running and chasing for time and money. And there I was in my sneakers and baggy uniform, walking slowly causing a whole unnecessary "tsk" and grumbles.

Look at all of them. I was like that once - running and rushing for time and money. Clocking in to the office on time is discipline, chasing money is assurance that my life will be complete. I was busy worrying about money, and I was busy trying to get all those things in corporate life: money, increment, promotion, career advancement. I was mad for all those. Thirsty and hungry! So mad that I didn't mind being scolded for silly things like meeting minutes flaws, forgetting an SOP or accidentally skip a procedure. I believed that with my hard-earned degree, I could earn a lot and have a happy and fulfilling life in the future, endless shopping and maybe a car I've always dreamed of.

How wrong was I. Suddenly everything backfired and I had enough. I was sick and tired for being scolded like an idiot for minor and simple things. I was sick of being told to do things just because a person called "Boss" asked me to do it. I was sick of working extra hours and not being paid because "I should help the organisation grow". I was sick, very sick, of depending on work and money. Why did I have to depend on these creatures to ensure a good life?

I decided to stop. And today I am never even regretting my decision. People could say how wasted I am, working part-time on retail and counting stocks when my education could give me a better corporate life. Nah, my scene isn't the corporate world. I belong to God and not an entity called "Boss". I chose a path many are disappointed on but I know, it is for my own good and fulfillment. I am still healthy and living - there is no need to rush for money. Basic needs fulfilled, what else are there to be earned?

So today I watched all these corporate zombies rush for the unknown - or what they call "to earn a living", while I hop on the bus to the job that I don't have to rush for. Because most importantly, for once, I am not like them.

the blogger
"Standing in a nice dress, staring at the sunset,"
I am a 29-year-old mom of two toddlers; I will update this section when my boys have gone to college!


previously written

lifechanging
negative
the real bigot
the new life
alright now, here we go.
Phase 4
note of 2014
slowly but surely..
untitled (out of rage)
lavish weddings


thank you
Layout by mymostloved, with banner by Obsequious and inspiration from sagacity.